Utility Help Center
Go To Search
Bill Payment Assistance
For some customers, including seniors on fixed incomes, energy expenses can be a financial burden. In fact, there are those right here in our community who cannot afford the energy to meet their basic needs. For those who cannot afford such an expense, this can lead to difficult decisions about how to allocate their limited resources.

Our local Energy Assistance Program is designed to help income-qualifying households cover their energy costs and reduce the financial burden that they face. If you believe you or someone you know may qualify, we encourage you to establish your income eligibility through the federally funded Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)

To avoid unnecessary delays, the following checklist will help you prepare for your application process. It is important that you provide the documentation required. Agencies may not be able to directly obtain income and Social Security information. 2016-2017 Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program Checklist

Where to Apply for WHEAP — Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program

Pierce County Residents
Administered by Pierce County Department of Human Services
412 W Kinne Street, Ellsworth, WI
By Appointment Only. 715-273-6788

St. Croix County Residents
Administered by West CAP
525 Second Street, Glenwood City, WI
800-606-9227 or 715-265-4271, ext. 1324

The following verifications are required to apply:

  • Proof of SS# for all household members
  • Proof of your heating and electric costs from 9-1-16 through 8-31-17.
  • Proof of all earned and unearned income for the three months prior to the month of application (this includes interest and dividend income).

Commitment to Community
is part of the Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). These funds are for your non heating electric costs and are included in your application for WHEAP, funds for RFMU customers are distributed by RFMU and occur automatically after your qualified application with WHEAP has been processed. This can take several weeks. RFMU will mail you a letter with the amount you are eligible for based on your WHEAP application these funds will be applied to the electric portion of your utility bill. 

See Resource List for other local agencies that may be able to provide assistance or additional resources for you.