In order to vote, you must:
- Be U.S citizen
- Be 18 years or older on election day
- Have lived in the City of River Falls for at least 10 days prior to election day
You cannot vote if you have:
- Been convicted of a felony and not restored to civil rights
- Been judged incompetent
- Already voted in that election
When registering to vote with the Clerk's Office, your application must be submitted by one of the following ways by the specified deadline:
- By mail: 20 days or more before the day of election
- In person: 5 p.m. the Friday before the election
Electors must provide a Wisconsin Department of Transportation-issued driver's license number or State-issued Identification card number. If the elector has not been issued a Wisconsin driver's license or State-issued ID, they must provide the last four digits of their Social Security Number.
Anyone wishing to vote in the State of Wisconsin has three options to register:
Register By Mail
Complete an Application for Voter Registration. When mailing to the City Clerk’s Office, it must be postmarked no later than the 20th day before the election. Proof of residence is required for mail-in registrations.
City Clerk's Office
222 Lewis St.
River Falls, WI 54022
To register online, visit the My Vote Wisconsin website. Proof of residence may be required for online registration.
Register In Person
Register at City Hall up to 5 p.m. the Friday before the election. Proof of residence is required for in-person voter registration.
Register at the Polling Place on Election Day
Register to vote at your proper polling location on election day between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Proof of residence is required when registering to vote on election day.
Proof of Residence
Acceptable forms of proof of residence are outlined below. Please note that voters registering by mail may not use a residential lease as proof of residence. The copy of the form of proof of residence must be included when submitting the registration application by mail. If a copy of proof of residence is not included, the voter registration application cannot be processed.
Providing Proof of Residence
The following items constitute acceptable proof of residence:
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- A current and valid Wisconsin identification card
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes election day (not acceptable for voters registering by mail)
- A university, college, or technical institute identification card with a photo and a fee receipt issued by the university, college or technical college that is dated within the last nine months before the date of the election.
- A gas, electric, internet, telephone or other utility service statement for the period starting no earlier than 90 days before the day registration is made.
- A bank statement
- A paycheck/direct deposit
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government