City Compost Site
The City provides a compost facility at 901 W. Locust Street where River Falls residents may bring their yard waste.
Please assist the City by self-monitoring the site and reporting any violations if there is not an attendant on duty.
- Use of this site is for City residents only.
- In order to use the site, residents will need to provide a recent River Falls Municipal Utilities (RFMU) billing statement and photo ID.
- Allowable material is limited to residential yard waste, shrubbery, and tree branch debris (no large logs, root balls, or trunks). Please use good housekeeping and do not bring unwanted or banned materials to the site.
- Remember to remove material from plastic and other non-compostable bags. A dumpster is provided for disposal of these items for your convenience.
- Property owners who use a third-party service to haul their materials may provide their haulers with an authorization form, available at City Hall. Third party haulers may present this form to the site attendant to gain entry.
- Compost and woodchips are available at the site for City residents on a first-come, self-serve basis.
The compost site is open during the following hours:
- Tuesday and Thursday: 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
General Operating Schedule
The compost site typically opens in April and closes for the season on November 30 (weather permitting). Hours may vary from year to year. Except for specific occasions (e.g., Christmas tree collection), the site will be closed from December through March. The compost site is closed on holidays.
Additional County Resources
Below, please find additional resources available for residents through Pierce and/or St. Croix County:
For more information or questions regarding the compost site, contact Public Works Manager Erica Ellefson at 715-426-3406 or by email.